The first time you install PerformFlow, Google shows an authorization dialog requesting access to certain services in your Google account. This article explains what and why permissions are needed to use PerformFlow.
- Which authorization scopes needed for PerformFlow?
- Why does PerformFlow need those permissions?
- Review of permissions
- How safe is your data?
- Granting explicit access to your files/folders to the PerformFlow Support team
Which authorization scopes needed for PerformFlow?
When you install PerformFlow for the first time, you are prompted with a authorization dialog by Google with the list of permissions you need to grant for the add-on to access applicable data and act on your behalf. Below is the complete list of permissions, as shown in the authorization dialog of PerformFlow, along with the detailed explanation of what each permission mean and why are they required.
Authorization scopes & Explanations:
- See, edit, create and delete all of your Google Drive files:
This scope is required for accessing the full contents of your Drive folders, only to allow actions to be performed on your behalf. In no case the textual content of your files be used for any other purposes or shared with any third-party services.
- See, edit, create and delete your spreadsheets in Google Drive:
This scope is required for PerformFlow to merge the form submission data as Google Spreadsheets.
- View and manage your forms in Google Drive:
This scope is required to access your form for which you had setup PerformFlow for to use its settings, the configurations and the contents to offer the workflow capabilities.
- Connect to an external service:
This scope is required to send/retrieve information from Firebase, a real-time database from Google, which is used by PerformFlow to store some of your basic user profile information and information on your PerformFlow usage.
- Send email as you:
This scope is required for PerformFlow to act on your behalf by sending sending approval notification emails to your specified recipients.
- Allow this application to run when you are not present:
This scope is required for PerformFlow to send approval notification emails whenever there is a form submission, even when your PC is switched off.
- Display and run third-party web content in prompts and sidebars inside Google applications:
This authorization is required for PerformFlow to work within a sidebar inside Google Forms, where you can add recipients and configure your approval workflow.
Why does PerformFlow need those permissions?
PerformFlow, as an add-on for Google Forms, is well integrated within G Suite apps like Google Forms, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Forms, Gmail and Google Drive. It requires access to the Google environment to provide its services seamlessly across the G Suite apps.
So PerformFlow only requests the above permissions that are absolutely necessary for its functionality.
Review of permissions
Should you have a need to review the permissions you granted for PerformFlow, you can check it under Security settings of your Google Account at any time.
How safe is your data?
We commit ourselves to use these permissions only to be able to offer you the service that you have signed up for.
PerformFlow requires full access to your Drive folders, only to perform actions on your behalf. In no case the textual content of your files will be stored or used for any other purposes or shared with any third-party services.
PerformFlow does NOT have access to your Google account or your password at any time.
Beyond this, PerformFlow stores your name, email address and collects some usage information as you use the add-on.
Granting explicit access to your files/folders to the PerformFlow Support team
We, the PerformFlow Support team, may ask you to share your Google Forms with edit permission, in order to assist you with a question or an issue. This will enable us to troubleshoot your issue. You must explicitly share the relevant files/folders for us, but please be assured that:
- We will use the access only for the specified purpose and for the required duration of investigation
- We will ask for your permission in case we need to make any modifications to these files
- We won’t make a copy of your files, unless we want to show you an example, after which we will permanently delete the copy
- We do not change the sharing settings or share the file to anybody else
- We prompt you to stop sharing the files/folders with us, once our investigation is over